Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Perils of Interviewing

"Sucks to be me tomorrow morning; 8AM presentation! ARG!!"
"So bored at work, and its just Thursday."
"I'd rather be in bed than at work LOL!"

Various posts on my Facebook news feed.  No different from a typical day.

If you have ever been unemployed, such comments can frustrate you.  I had been without a real full time job for years.  The role of wife and mother had replaced my professional life as working woman.  When I separated last year, my part time job ended at the same time.  I took a very part time job (read 8 hours a week) that allowed me to earn pocket money and little else.  I felt bored.  I would send resumes on Craigslist.  Bad choice.  98% of all job listings on Craigslist are recruiters for personnel agencies, phishing for resumes to meet quota, or hackers hoping to get your bank account number and wipe you clean.

In January, I decided to really start looking for a job.  The part time job was not expanding my hours, and the boss kept saying "We'll have investors next month, then you can run this place!"  I had grown tired of those lies.  The best thing happened to me on Monday January 31st.  The boss let me go-by text message.  "Hey Jane, just got out of a meeting and we don't have the funds for you this month.  I'll bring you back in a couple of weeks. Thanks".  I'm not kidding.

I was relieved.  I redid my resume, took out all reference to sales and found all the employment agencies in my city.  I created accounts on Monster and Hotjobs.  I literally pounded the pavement.  One agency asked me if I would temp while they helped me get a permanent job.  Of course, I said.

Temping is like being a French mistress.  Everyone knows you have no commitment, you leave for other interviews,  and can have a flexible schedule.  What an excellent concept!  The company where I temped seemed like a great bunch of people, but they weren't hiring full time staff.

My first interview was held in a coffee shop.  The lady was opening up a music school, need teachers and administrative staff.  Her energy was scattered and desperate.  She already ran a program from her studio, and boy she needed help!  She showed me the space-a converted coffee shop.  My gut said NO.  When I tried to discuss money she said "Of course, the teachers should get paid what their worth!  I've poured my life savings into this-", which is another way of saying, will you work for free until we get students?  I politely bowed out.

The temp agency referred me to another office.  The far away office had ungodly hours, 7:30AM to 6PM. They wanted to hire a recruiter to oversee old accounts, create new accounts.  Recruiting is like sales.  Usually, its low starting pay but then you make the bucks with commission. The body language from the two women screamed insecurity.  I know scored the interview, and quickly called back to ask about starting salary.  "She's in a meeting".  I left a message.  The next day I wrote an email asking for starting salary.  Five days passed before I got a reply.  They were going with someone else.  Whatever.

The next interview was easily an hour from my home.  I met the owner.  All business.  He didn't believe in dress down Fridays, or wearing the local team's jersey on game night.  You leave your personal life outside, and devote your 8 to 10 hours to the business.  When he asked how fast I typed, my response made him frown.  "I'l gonna stop you right there.  We need someone who can type at least triple that."  I was relieved.  I couldn't allow myself to work for a such strict boss, and I knew the commute alone would grind my teeth to powder.

I was prepped for the interview at the finance company.  My recruiter said "The bosses are brothers who don't get alone.  They curse, a lot.  You need to have thick skin."  I passed the first interview so well, I got a second one.  Sitting in that high-rise office, in my suit, I thought about the long hours this job would impose; all I could envision was my daughter's face.  Back in the recruiter's office, she asked me if I would take an offer that was lower than my asking price.  No, I wouldn't.  I didn't get that one.

The next place was laid back, but big.  I saw 4 people, men, all of whom were more impressed that I showed up in a suit than my skills.  They wanted me to temp, and eventually go permanent.  Their starting price was lower than what I was currently making at the first temp job.  I didn't even return their call when the recruiter counter offered for 50 cents more.

On April 14, I was summoned into the office of the Director of Operations at the temp job.  I was given an offer to go permanent.  I accepted.  I had found an environment that fulfilled my spirit.  Its never the company that matters, its the people.  You will spend 1/3 of your day with these people, you must enjoy them.

All those interviews taught me very valuable lessons:

-If salary is a struggle to discuss, don't take it.
-If the hours sacrifice your personal life, don't take it.
-If you are asked to not talk about your personal life, "leave your drama at home", don't take it.
-If you are asked to forgive outrageous abusive behavior before the interview, don't take it.
-If the company is tight with their office space and tighter with their money, don't take it.
-If you feel appreciated and valued, if you can feel relaxed and welcomed, if the work is achievable, and you believe in the company; TAKE IT.

I love my job.  Its administrative.  I thrive at the copier, answering phones, doing expense reports.  I have pictures of my daughter on my desk.  I can wear my jeans on Fridays.  The days of boredom are over.  I can thrive again.

No comments:

Post a Comment