Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'm like you, and then no

My experiences are similar to yours, and perhaps way off the map.  Here come the "labels":
I am an American woman, born and raised in NYC, now living in Pittsburgh.
I'm 41 years old, but I'm often mistaken for late twenties.
I am the mother to an almost 5 year old girl.
I am separated, divorce pending.
I am the daughter of parents 40+ years married; my father is, for clarity sake, in a coma, while my mom still lives at home.
I am the sister to a brother with developmental disabilities.  He live at home with Mom.
I am currently unemployed.
I am an actress by education and passion.
I don't smoke or do drugs, which makes me "smart" and "healthy".
I've made the conscious decision to decrease my social drinking, which makes me "weird".

Those are the "labels" with which my ego or personality identifies.  In a spiritual sense, I am NOT any of those things.  I am just here.  Eckhart Tolle writes, "You are here to enable the Divine Purpose of the Universe to unfold." I'm doing my best to be that purpose, while still living in a space where "labels" are required.

My Double Normal Life is this new dual situation I have placed myself.  This didn't HAPPEN to me, I didn't wake up and FIND myself here.  I take full responsibility and accountability, a rare quality trait I wish more of us would embrace.  Sometimes I'm Mom; pick up drop off feed bathe entertain adore admonish.  Sometimes I'm Single; dance flirt date eat shower adore advise. When I'm with my daughter, I am present; I eat up every moment, I go into Mom mode.  However, when I'm Single, doing adult things, I never forget I'm a mom. Still a mom. And a sister.  And a daughter.

I have my own condo.  I haven't lived on my own since 2000.  I like to think this is the Universe's way of saying "Do over, hard reset". I was very far from being a domestic Goddess before; I have even less aspirations of that label now.  I do believe in making great cooked meals, and having a home that is cozy and relaxed.  And I do rush and clean 20 minutes before company comes.  Most of the time the dishes are in the sink.  This is why we are in a recession, right?

I've had drama, tragedy and comedy.  I've witnessed cool things and horrible things.  I don't know everything, but I know a lot about some things, and very little about most.  I know right from wrong, and what's best from what's not that bad.

I'm like you, but I'm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment